Ashwagandha & testosterone share a relationship that can help you maintain your testosterone levels during prolonged stress. However, there are many Ashwagandha benefits for men but first we want to talk a bit about men's health, particularly the hormone testosterone.
Low testosterone is a problem that affects many men. Resulting in loss of sex drive, weight gain, muscle loss, low energy, and difficulty reproducing. Low testosterone has many causes, stress, eating the wrong sorts of foods, exposure to toxins, and testicular injury can all result in lowered testosterone.
If your testosterone levels are low enough, you may find a doctor willing to prescribe you with testosterone replacement – usually in the form of injections, gels, or patches. However, to qualify for testosterone replacement therapy, your T-levels have to be very low and the therapy itself can often be prohibitively expensive.
Boosting Testosterone Naturally
In an effort to boost their testosterone levels naturally, some men turn to herbal supplements – many of which are commonly used in Ayurvedic medicine. Also known as Ayurveda, this is one of the world's oldest holistic (whole-body) healing systems and was developed thousands of years ago in India.
The herb most often used to treat low testosterone and it’s many symptoms is ashwagandha – also known as Withania Somnifera, meaning winter cherry, and sometimes spelt ashwaganda, ashwanghanda, ashwaghanda or ashwagand.
If you want to shrug off the problems commonly associated with low testosterone, build muscle, lose fat, reclaim your enjoyment of sex, or simply feel more manly and energetic, the Ayurvedic herbal supplement ashwagandha could be just what you are looking for.
What Is Ashwagandha?
Predominately grown in India, ashwagandha is often called Indian Ginseng. Is ginseng good for sex? Ashwagandha means ‘Smell of Horse’ which refers to its bouquet in the wild and the belief that consuming this ashwagandha energy herb will give you the sex drive, stamina, and strength of a horse!
Ashwagandha & Testosterone
Ashwagandha is a noted and well-researched testosterone booster. It does this both directly and indirectly by countering many of the causes of low testosterone. There are many ashwagandha studies that reveal the following benefits from regular use:
- Increased Testosterone – Several studies have shown that regular use of ashwagandha over the course of three-months resulted in significant increases in serum testosterone and sperm quality/mobility and is considered a viable treatment for infertility. In addition, ashwagandha has also been shown to increase the production of follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), boost luteinizing hormone (LH) production, and elevate serum DHEA levels, creating a “perfect storm” for increasing testosterone.
- Improved Sleep – Too little sleep can inhibit testosterone production. Most men fail to get enough sleep and many men suffer from disrupted sleep. Six to nine hours’ sleep will provide your body and nervous system with the rest it needs to maximize testosterone production. Ashwagandha has been shown to be an effective, non-addictive sleep aid.
- Reduced Stress – Too much stress results in an increase in production of the hormone cortisol. Elevated cortisol levels drive down testosterone. Stress is often all-but unavoidable but research shows that regular use of ashwagandha supplements can help men to manage the symptoms of stress more effectively and prevent the testosterone-crushing effect of cortisol. In this role, ashwagandha is known medically as an adaptogen.
- Improved Sexual Function – Ashwagandha is one of the most commonly used Ayurvedic herbs for sex and fertility. Improved fertility is commonly associated with increased testosterone levels but ashwagandha also seems to increase erectile function and boost sperm count too. These two factors combine to produce an increase in fertility and reproductive health.
- Improved Immunity – Consuming ashwagandha can help increase the ability of your immune system to fight off illness and infection. Stress, low testosterone, and an unhealthy diet can all result in frequent but minor illnesses. Ashwagandha has been shown to increase the efficiency of the immune system which should lead to fewer illness.
How to Use Ashwagandha
Ashwagandha herbal supplements are taken orally and in capsule or powder form. Both capsules and powder are equally effective. Most people find taking capsules more convenient however the raw powder is better value for money.
Dosages vary depending on the product being used but ½ teaspoon for ashwagandha powder or two 1000 mg capsules is most typical. Many people prefer to take it before bed since ashwagandha can cause sedation and be beneficial for sleep.
Recommended Ashwagandha Products
With so many different ashwagandha products to choose from, it can be hard to decided which one to buy. For that reason, we have selected two products, one powder and one capsule, which we believe offer the best potency and value for money.
Both products are certified 100% pure, organic, and suitable for vegetarians.
Many men suffer with low testosterone but never take steps to remedy this problem. As such, they go through life feeling less joy for life than they should. Low sex drive, difficulty losing weight, muscle loss – these problems are not normal!
You do not have to suffer the effects of low testosterone – you can regain your sex drive and your energy, and feel many years younger too.
In many cases, there is no need to resort to testosterone replacement therapy; you can boost your testosterone levels using ashwagandha supplements. Supported by a large body of academic research, ashwagandha can help restore your testosterone levels safely and naturally while also improving many other aspects of your health.