Progesterone is commonly known as the pregnancy hormone, but there’s a growing trend these days in the use of progesterone cream for men. Progesterone is a very important hormone even for men and comes with plenty of benefits.
Progesterone can be used to increase testosterone levels, fight hair loss and man boobs, lower estrogen levels and keep men healthy when aging. It turns out that progesterone is more than just a pregnancy hormone for women.
Progesterone and Men: The Crucial Balancing Act
Progesterone helps maintain balance between testosterone and estrogen. It keeps estrogen levels low to allow testosterone levels to stay high. Progesterone is also the precursor of the stress hormone cortisol and is a calming hormone, effective for stress reduction. Hence, progesterone for men is very important.
Our hormone balance is maintained with the right concentration of progesterone. This balance is important for men in order to maintain their masculine characteristics such as sperm production and lean muscle mass.
Progesterone also affects the production of another hormone- prolactin. High concentrations of prolactin cause “man boobs”. Prolactin increases when levels of progesterone in men go down.
Why Increase Progesterone
The benefits of progesterone are numerous. It is needed in maintaining overall hormonal balance and good health.
If you want to boost your testosterone levels and enjoy the benefits of masculinity, improved moods and libido, and better overall health including enhanced muscles mass and greater bone density, you might want to increase your progesterone levels.
Health suffers with low progesterone. Side effects include reduced sex drive (libido) and increased body fat, among many more.
In the body, progesterone has many functions such as:
- It protects against certain cancers such as breast cancer
- It reduces incidence of obesity
- It prevents hair loss. Progesterone helps keep DHT and estrogen balanced, which can be beneficial for hair loss.
What Causes Low Progesterone Levels?
Many factors result in low progesterone levels in men. Some of these include high cortisol levels, aging and estrogen dominance. Exposure to xenoestrogens is another common cause of progesterone deficiency.
Since Progesterone is the precursor of cortisol, you can run out of progesterone during times of prolonged stress because the body uses up all of it to produce more cortisol.
This is why estrogen dominance and low testosterone is often an problem during chronic stress. Progesterone levels also naturally decline from aging, causing issues such as low testosterone, high estrogen, hair loss and prostate inflammation.
You can check your progesterone levels by doing a blood test.
Before you start any progesterone cream treatment, its important you get your levels tested first so you know your baseline.
Progesterone cream will counter the effect of high estrogen levels, bringing them down and allowing testosterone levels to rise, moving your system back into balance. But if estrogen dominance or low progesterone is not present and you undergo progesterone cream therapy, you can place yourself at risk for high progesterone-related problems. This is why it is always important to monitor your levels.
Blood tests can be used to monitor your levels of progesterone, testosterone, cortisol, estriol, estradiol and estrone. Results will provide a more reliable explanation for any symptoms. Also keep in mind that low progesterone is not always the cause for low testosterone levels.
Once you have determined that you do have progesterone deficiency symptoms, you should look into starting therapy with progesterone creams to correct your low levels.
How to Improve Low Progesterone Symptoms
You can improve symptoms of progesterone deficiency in men by using any of the following recommended progesterone creams.
This progesterone cream is manufactured by Life-Flo. It contains USP-grade micronized progesterone harvested from wild yam. This is a healthier and more effective product than those using synthetic progesterone for reducing symptoms of low progesterone.
Each ounce of this progesterone supplement contains 240 mg of natural progesterone. Each pump (one dose) delivers 10 mg progesterone.
- Raises progesterone levels, which the body uses as a precursor in the production and balancing of steroid hormones such as cortisol, testosterone and estrogen
- Combats hair loss
- Improve prostate health
- Protect against BPH (benign prostate hypertrophy)
- Protect against osteoporosis (yes, this disease isn’t just for women)
- Improves frequent urination
- Natural progesterone
- Symptoms of progesterone deficiency are reduced as it balances hormonal levels and keeps estrogen under control
- Tocotrienols (Vitamin E)
- Potent antioxidant
- Saw palmetto
- Reduces swollen prostate
- Methyl sulfonyl methane
- Immune system stimulant
- Grape seed extract
- Potent antioxidant
How to Use:
- Use the amount obtained from one full press of the pump (1 full press=1 dose).
- Apply either on the chest, face, thighs, inner arms or hands.
- Rotate sites per day. For example, apply one dose today over the inner arms. The next day, apply one dose on the chest, and so on.
- Use one dose per day for 25 days. Rest for 5 days before resuming use of this product. Be sure to monitor your progesterone levels using saliva or blood tests every few months.
Things We Liked
- Non-oily and does not leave residue on skin
- Easy to absorb
- Easy to apply with its measured dosage pump
Things We Didn't Like
- Usually takes a few weeks of continued use before results are seen
Pregnenolone is a natural ingredient that is used by the body as the main precursor to produce important hormones such as testosterone and progesterone. If you want to increase the level of these hormones, apply this pregnenolone cream.
In this form, testosterone levels are naturally boosted. You also get to improve your sex drive, penis erectility and sperm count. Progesterone cream is more effective at boosting progesterone levels but pregnenolone is harder to overdose for men.
- Enhances testosterone and progesterone production
- Improves memory and cognitive function
- Natural pregnenolone
- This is used as a precursor for production of hormones such as testosterone and progesterone. It also triggers the production of hormones that help you manage stress.
- Vitamin E
- This is added to enhance the absorption and distribution of pregnenolone to the tissues.
- MSM (methyl sulfonylmethane)
- Boosts the function of the immune system and supports the body’s own antioxidant production.
- Essential oils
- For easier absorption through the skin without leaving oily residue
How to Use:
- Press fully to get the recommended daily dose (1 full press=15 mg natural pregnenolone)
- Rub over the skin on the inner arms, chest, thighs or abdomen.
- Rotate application sites, i.e., apply on the abdomen today, over the chest the next day, and so on.
- Do not apply daily for more than 25 days. Have a 5-day break from the product before resuming use.
Things We Liked
- Non-greasy formula
- Easily absorbed
- Free of synthetic ingredients such as parabens
Things We Didn't Like
- May cause some skin irritation; rotate sites to reduce this side effect
- Not for long-term use; go on breaks for about 5 days before resuming use
- May cause rapid heartbeats and overstimulation when overdosed
Progesterone is important not just for women, it is also important in men. It affects the balance of other hormones and has an impact on overall health as well. Keeping progesterone levels within normal ranges is crucial and using progesterone cream for men is one way to ensure that you maintain those levels even while aging or suffering prolonged periods of stress.
Product image credits: Amazon.com