If you’re from the West, chances are you’ve never encountered Black Ginger before.
If, however, you’re from the East, and in particular Thailand, the legendary reputation of this rare spice precedes itself.
This is NOT your everyday kitchen ginger...
Also known as Kaempferia Parviflora (Krachai Dum in Thai), Black Ginger is traditionally used in Thailand as a male tonic herb, energy enhancer and longevity agent. Especially touted for its effects on male sexuality.
Black Ginger is only grown in South-East Asia, making it an increasingly rare and sought after herb.
In conjunction with the “One Village One Product” campaign raised by the Thai government, Black Ginger has been promoted as a healthcare food in the country to increase public awareness and protect this rare plant.
In this article we will breakdown what makes Black Ginger so sought after by men all over the world.
How Does Black Ginger Work?
If you’ve ever researched or used Viagra before you would have discovered that it works via a mechanism known as phosphodiesterase inhibition.
Phosphodiesterase (PDE), and in particular phosphodiesterase-5 (PDE-5) is an enzyme which cleaves a bond in the compound cAMP, known to mediate vasodilation in blood vessels via nitric oxide synthesis.
Upon breakage of these bonds, the compound loses its action and vasodilation subsides.
By inhibiting the cleaving of these bonds, the compound persists longer in the blood and is able to exert beneficial effects.
Most notably is the dilation of the cavernosal artery found in the penis, translating to firmer and longer lasting erections. Black Ginger works via this same mechanism—PDE-5 inhibition.
Erectile dysfunction or impotence is one of the most common conditions that affect men, especially middle-aged men. By 2025, it’s estimated that about 300 million men will be affected by ED to some extent.
However, it is important to set realistic expectations when using Black Ginger as a pro-erectile supplement, as it is not as potent as the synthetic PDE-5 inhibitors.
Pharmaceuticals such as Viagra and Cialis are much stronger inhibitors, but are also more likely to cause undesirable effects.
These side effects can range from severe headaches (migraines are believed to be caused by dilation of blood vessels in the scalp), nasal congestion, dizziness, and priapism (a never-ending erection that you absolutely do not want to experience).
You may be wondering, is there any other reason Black Ginger trumps Viagra as a better option?
In addition to its PDE-5 inhibiting effects, Black Ginger may also act on the dopaminergic system, boosting levels of this neurotransmitter (by inhibiting its breakdown) which plays an important role in normal sexual function and mood (also in women).
In persons who exhibit reduced dopamine sensitivity or levels, sexual dysfunction is very common and will not be fixed by the use of mere vasodilators.
Its ability to increase dopamine levels may also improves your mood in the process and may help combat mild depressive illnesses.
In this sense, Black Ginger may be considered superior to pharmaceuticals such as Viagra since it tackles both the issue of diminished penile blood flow and your arousal to sexual stimulus thanks to upregulation of dopamine receptors, all while causing no known side effects.
Black Ginger Benefits:
What Does The Research Say?
- Clinical Effects of Krachaidum (Kaempferia parviflora): A Systematic Review -
Journal of Evidence-Based Integrative Medicine. September 30, 2016
- Positive Modulation Effect of 8-Week Consumption of Kaempferia parviflora on Health-Related Physical Fitness and Oxidative Status in Healthy Elderly Volunteers - Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine Volume 2012, Article ID 732816, 7 pages
- Effect of Kaempferia parviflora Extract on Physical Fitness of Soccer Players: A Randomized Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Trial. - Med Sci Monit Basic Res. 2015 May 6;21:100-8. doi: 10.12659/MSMBR.894301. - NCBI
- Black ginger extract increases physical fitness performance and muscular endurance by improving inflammation and energy metabolism - Heliyon. 2016 May; 2(5): e00115. - NCBI
- Kaempferia parviflora extract increases whole-body energy expenditure in humans: roles of brown adipose tissue. - J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2015;61(1):79-83. doi: 10.3177/jnsv.61.79.
- Efficacy Assessment of Kaempferia parviflora for the Management of ED - OnLine Journal of Biological Sciences, 2012, 12 (4), 149-155
- Kaempferia parviflora ethanolic extract promoted nitric oxide production in human umbilical vein endothelial cells. - Published 2007 in Journal of ethnopharmacology
- Effect of Kaempferia parviflora extract on knee osteoarthritis. - J Nat Med. 2018 Jan;72(1):136-144. doi: 10.1007 s11418-017-1121-6. Epub 2017 Aug 19. - NCBI
- Anti-osteoporotic and Antioxidant Activities by Rhizomes of Kaempferia parviflora Wall. ex Baker - Natural Product Sciences 22(1) : 13-19 (2016)
- Anticholinesterase activity of 7-methoxyflavones isolated from Kaempferia parviflora. - Published 2009 in Phytotherapy research : PTR DOI:10.1002/ptr.2858 - NCBI
In addition to its suggested effects on your erectile health and well-being, Black Ginger may also possesses several other functions that you are likely to benefit from whether you are a man or woman. These include benefits from the impressive list below:
- Decreases the period of erectile latency (in simple terms, the time it may take for you to attain an erection after exposed to sexual stimuli).
- Said to increase both length and girth of the flaccid penis.
- May promote lifespan via activation of Sirtuin 1 gene.
- Improves symptoms of BPH; an enlarged/enlarging prostate.
- Improves brain function and possesses anticholinesterase activity (which may offset Alzheimer’s and dementia).
Using Black Ginger In Poor Health
First off, let's make it clear that this is not your everyday L-Arginine, L-Citrulline or off-the-shelf NO booster.
Black Ginger is so much more than a simple nitric oxide booster. It also has the ability to increase caloric expenditure.
Unknown to many is the fact that a higher metabolic rate does not just increase the rate of calorie burning, but also may boost recovery, your resistance to stress along with improving sleep patterns, and energy production.
Black ginger is able to boost energy production via stimulation of AMPK (or AMP-activated protein kinase).
This is an enzyme which increases the rate of calorie burning in the mitochondria of muscle cells, resulting in greater energy production.
Also worth mentioning is the fact that Black Ginger activates brown adipose tissue (BAT) which is the good type of body fat (fat burning fat) that possesses thermogenic properties and is frequently found in the mitochondria itself.
How To Use Black Ginger For Best Results
Of note is the fact that there is little to no evidence of adverse effects experienced while using Black Ginger, as it has been recommended by the Thai Traditional Medicine Institute as a safe supplement with centuries of proven use behind it.
A dose of between 1000 to 1500mg daily is normal, with 1200mg being the average dose. It has not been shown to adversely affect blood pressure, nor does it affect hormonal balance, making it safe for use while on hormone replacement therapy.
The only time Black Ginger should not be used is if you suffer from pre-existing arrhythmias as it may exacerbate the condition even more.
When you look at Black Ginger from an overall perspective, you can see that it is much more than a one-hit wonder in terms of boosting sexual prowess. It is something that also works to address issues of sexual sensitivity and overall energy levels.
(Disclaimer: This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Results may vary from person to person. This information does not constitute medical advice and it should not be relied upon as such. Consult with your doctor before modifying your regular medical regime.)
- Efficacy Assessment of Kaempferia parviflora for the Management of Erectile Dysfunction [OnLine Journal of Biological Sciences, 2012].
- Kaempferia parviflora rhizome extract and Myristica fragrans volatile oil increase the levels of monoamine neurotransmitters and impact the proteomic profiles in the rat hippocampus: Mechanistic insights into their neuroprotective effects [Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine.2017].
- Standardized Kaempferia parviflora Extract Inhibits Intrinsic Aging Process in Human Dermal Fibroblasts and Hairless Mice by Inhibiting Cellular Senescence and Mitochondrial Dysfunction [Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2017] PubMed-NCBI.
- Suppression of benign prostate hyperplasia by Kaempferia parviflora rhizome [Pharmacognosy Res. 2013] PubMed-NCBI.
- Kaempferia parviflora extract increases energy consumption through activation of BAT in mice [Food Sci Nutr. 2014] PubMed-NCBI.