Suma Root is a large ground vine native to the rainforests of the Amazon. It’s also called as Brazilian ginseng although native tribes call it “paratudo”, which translates to “for everything”, due to how it can address almost every ailment.
However, what researchers took notice of is its ability to enhance athletic performance. So, how can herbal medicine do this exactly?
Suma Root as a Natural Steroid
The suma root extract contains a chemical compound known as ecdysterone or 20-Hydroxyecdysone. This compound is an anabolic agent that has a similar chemical structure to your body’s androgen hormones.
Because of this similarity, it is capable of latching on to the receptors meant for these hormones, particularly testosterone. This gives them an effect similar to that of testosterone when it latches on to these receptors. Although it acts like anabolic androgen steroids, it has been seen to have a lower risk of use.
The result of supplementation with the beta-ecdysterone from the root extract has shown consistent similarities with supplementation of other testosterone boosters. Studies investigating its effects have shown that:
- Supplementation has shown significant weight gain and muscular growth on test subjects.
- It can lower the estrogen level in the blood due to its anti-estrogenic effects.
- It significantly increased the sexual performance and drive, and libido of test subjects.
- Ecdysterone has an antioxidant effect on lipid peroxidation which, if left unchecked, could produce reactive aldehydes. These reactive aldehydes can increase the risk for atherosclerosis, cardiac ischemia reperfusion injury, schizophrenia, and other inflammatory diseases.
- Preliminary tests involving animal subjects show that ecdysterone has the ability to increase bile secretion and liver regeneration from damage borne of toxins.
However, keep in mind that ecdysterone is classified as a testosterone booster and use of it must be considered at the same level of other such substances. It is also recommended to take it on a cycle format to prevent its effects from waning.
Other Benefits of Suma Root
Suma root extract contains a variety of 19 amino acids, a blend of electrolytes, and a blend of vitamins and minerals. The vitamins in suma root include Vitamins A, B1, B2, K, and E, and pantothenic acidand germanium. As for the minerals, it contains iron, magnesium, and zinc.
It contains novel phytochemicals like glycosides, nortriterpenes, pfaffic acids, and saponins. These phytochemicals assist the body in regulating blood sugar levels, energy provision and enhancement, and immune system enhancement.
Boost Nitric Oxide Levels
It contains natural nitrates that help increase nitric oxide levels in your body. Nitric oxide is responsible for keeping your blood vessels flexible and your blood circulation at its best.
Still a New Area for Research
Although there have been numerous studies testing the mettle of suma root, there have bas no research performed on actual human test subjects. This gap in research means a lack of findings on all the aspects of this herb. Therefore, exercise caution when taking it and double check it with your nutritionist or health professional.