One of the most challenging aspects of being on a ketogenic diet is finding keto friendly snacks. Even if you’re generally strict about sticking to your keto meal plan, incidentally cheating on it with the wrong snacks may put at risk all the benefits of this wholesome diet.
Going keto means eating foods high in fat, very low in carbohydrates and sugar, and moderate in protein. The proportions of these nutrients in your daily diet should be: 80% fat, 15% protein, and 5% carbohydrate.
The other benefits you can enjoy from following this diet include:
Choosing Keto Snacks
Keto snacks not only stave off your hunger pangs between meals but also make it easier for you to meet the above proportions in your diet. To help you make wise choices, here are some of our suggestions for the best ketogenic food snacks:
• Pork rind is a delicious low carb snack that’s loaded with the fats you need. To make this crunchy treat even more delicious, just dip it in sour cream.
Our recommendation is Lowrey’s Microwave Bacon Curls. It has as little as one gram of carbs per 1.75-ounce bag and is available in original and Hot and Spicy flavors. All you have to do is microwave a bag and you’ll have a piping hot snack in just a few minutes.
If you want a convenient way to eat peanut butter, we recommend the Peanut Butter Crunch NuGo Smarte Carb Bar. NuGo bars are not only loaded with delicious peanut butter flavor but also contain only 2 grams net carbs (they’re sweetened with a sugar substitute).
• Cream cheese is a good choice given its minimal carbohydrate content. You can use it in preparing keto-friendly meals or as a dip for cauliflower and celery.
• A hard-boiled egg makes for a delicious breakfast or mid-morning snack. It’s very low in carbohydrates and contains moderate amounts of fat and protein.
What makes it stand out though, is how convenient it is to prepare. After all, you’ll only need a few minutes to boil eggs – and cleaning up definitely won’t be a problem.
• Chicken paprikash is traditionally considered a comfort food since it’s easy to make and extremely tasty. It’s made with sweet Hungarian Paprika and other common ingredients and can be served as a snack or a meal.
Since its main ingredient is chicken, you won’t have to worry about its carbohydrate content. Use chicken thighs since this part is high in protein and fairly high in fat as well.
• Tortillas are a versatile low-carb snack that you can quickly prepare. After all, you just have to put some keto-friendly filling on the tortilla, roll it up, and then microwave to heat.
Our recommendation is Mama Lupe’s Low Carb Tortillas since it actually tastes like regular tortillas, unlike other low-carb brands.
• Although beef jerky is a popular keto snack, you shouldn’t just grab the first pack you see. Always read the label to make sure that it’s genuinely low-carb. Sadly, there are many top brands that have as much as 10 g of carbs per serving.
As for us though, we usually go for Old Wisconsin Beef Snack Sticks since it’s not only very low in carbs but also devoid of extenders and MSG.
While extenders might seem harmless, they often affect your blood glucose depending on their composition. And, as you probably know, blood sugar spikes can stop your body from producing more ketones.
• High-protein bars are a convenient way to enjoy a keto-friendly snack while on the go. However, there are so many brands available that it can be challenging to choose the ones that are keto-friendly yet still delicious.
Well, have the following recommendations:
- Quest Bars are great for anyone following the keto diet since. This product contains no more than 5 grams of net carbs per serving (having almost no sugar). As for protein content, each bar has around 20 grams.
Quest Bars are available in a variety of flavors, but Peanut Butter Supreme and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough will always be our top picks. They’re not just standalone snacks though since you can use them to add flavor to your favorite keto recipe.
- Another superb option is the Quest Beyond Cereal Bar, which is made with protein rather than grains. Each bar has only 2 to 3 grams of net carbs and 12 grams of protein.
The bars are sweetened with Allulose, rather than with sugar. This is is a sweetener that tastes like regular sugar but has less than 0.4 calories per gram. In other words, it’s a much safer choice when it comes to managing your metabolism on keto.
Of course, as with other Quest bars, they’re versatile enough to be used as an ingredient in other snacks and dishes. Beyond Cereal Bar is available in three delicious flavors but our favorite is Chocolate.
- Another great snack bar for those following the keto diet is the Atkins Snack Bars. These bars follow Atkins guidelines, making it easier to maintain a low-carb diet that can help you lose weight.
While Atkins Snack Bars have gotten a bit of a bad reputation due to some people finding its taste artificial, the brand has greatly improved throughout the last years. Now, the snack bars taste a lot more natural so we’re happy to recommend them.
The Atkin Snack Bars have reduced sugar content (just a gram per bar) and are also low in trans fats. Each bar contains fewer than 2 grams of net carb.
Atkins Snack Bars are available in an assortment of flavors including Caramel Nut Chew, Peanut Butter Fudge Crisp, Cookies n’ Creme, and Chocolate Hazelnut.
• Protein shakes are a good addition to a low-carbohydrate diet since they’re a convenient snack to have, whether at home or when on the go. Choosing a shake, however, means you’ll have to read the labels carefully to find a brand that sticks to the principles of a high-fat low-carb diet.
Fortunately, Atkins also produces its own line of premixed ready-to-drink shakes. Each serving contains up to 3 grams of carbs (with sugar at just a gram), as well as 10 to 15 grams of protein.
Our recommendations for Atkins shakes are the Day Break Creamy Chocolate Shake that makes a great addition to breakfast, as well as the French Vanilla Shake and the Dark Chocolate Royale Shake.
• Speaking of breakfast, what would this meal be without a cup of keto coffee? Keto coffee is essentially coffee enhanced with healthy fats such as coconut oil or butter.
Here’s something you should know though – you could end up ruining your keto diet if you use the wrong coffee creamer. That’s why you should specifically go for a low-carb coffee creamer.
It would also be best to pick a creamer that doesn’t contain unnecessary ingredients (fillers and extenders). Again, you wouldn’t want to suffer from blood sugar spikes that can throw you off ketosis.
• Sardines can also be a good snack. They contain moderate amounts of protein while being loaded with fat – no need to worry about carbs since it doesn’t have any.
In addition, sardines are packed with other nutrients, including Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, and Omega-3 fatty acids.
There are many ways you can enjoy sardines, such as adding them to salads, using them as a sandwich filler, stuffing them or, if you’re in a hurry, eating straight out of the can.
If you’re wondering which brand we prefer, well, Wild Planet Sardines in Extra Virgin Olive Oil is quite good. It’s not only delicious but also Earth-friendly since the fish are caught sustainably along the Central California coastline.
- Finally, cheese is also an acceptable keto snack due to its high fat content. You can eat it on its own or pair it with other keto-friendly foods such as sliced pepperoni.
Don’t forget about your caloric intake though. Cheese is sometimes so good that it’s hard to resist – even after you’ve already had a lot of it.
You’ll have to keep track of your sodium intake as well, even if the keto diet increases your need for electrolytes. A single stick of string cheese, for example, typically contains around 200 milligrams of sodium – that’s almost a tenth of the recommended intake.
Many of those who follow strict low-carb high-fat diets have found their efforts undone since they didn’t pay enough attention to the snacks they ate. We sincerely hope that our keto food list will help you make the right snacking choices.
However, following a keto diet and eating keto friendly snacks alone might not be enough to put you in ketosis. You may need to take ketone supplements as well if you’re having difficulty taking in enough healthy fat from food alone.